Why I Love my Amazon Kindle

I have been using my Amazon Kindle for over a year now and I am still happy that I bought it. Amazon is quite straightforward in its description of what it can do, and what it can’t. But what it can do suits me just perfectly. Here are the reasons why. 


My home is my castle. And my Amazon Kindle is my library. I find it very handy to carry around all my reading stuff in a single tablet. It allows me to read several books at the same time when on holiday without exceeding my baggage weight limit. And it spares me agonising decisions about what to take along when on the move at other times. Having a whole library at your fingertips is true luxury when battling with the vagaries of the British transport system. And moving my stuff becomes much easier over time as I reduce my physical library by bits and pieces.

One of the major comforts to me is the display. Amazon advertises that it is equal to any printed book. I for one fully agree. The reading comfort is exactly as if I was reading the book in its printed version. It is very gentle on the eyes and allows me to read even when tired; something that makes my eyes water when doing it on the computer display.

A further advantage of the display is the possibility to adjust the print size. I am a lazy reader, I admit, and I find it easier to read in larger print. It is also an investment in the future; I am told that it is common for older people to have problems reading small script. Obviously, this won’t ever happen to me but it is nice to know it doesn’t matter in that respect. It’s like taking out an insurance policy; I’m sure I’ll never need it but think of it anyhow.

The search function is a further feature I am using from time to time. It enables me to find something in a book without racking my brain while trying to remember where I read it. And as I also write book reviews about books published on Amazon Kindle, the feature helps me to find important parts where I want to check on my own memory.

The same goes for the feature that allows me to mark text. It is much easier to write something when you have all the information at hand instead of having to peruse the text for what you had in mind. Enabling to see the markings of other readers on the other hand is not always necessary. I find it a great help if I have to read a book that is at the limit of my understanding. This usually happens when I am dealing with natural sciences; they do not agree with me at all. The markings of others to go by help me to prioritize my thinking.

The offerings at the beginning of my year with Amazon Kindle might have been a bit slim; now I am feeling spoiled for choice. And while the technical gadgetry might seem slim to some, it is comfortable for someone like me who is often overwhelmed with too much choice. And then, I admit, I often just read the Oxford Dictionary that is included in the Amazon Kindle. 


Further reading
The First Family of Science
Palimpsest
Iconic Design: Swiss Army Knife

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to buy a Kindle Touch, on special in Australia through it's only two distributors becasue it had been discontinued. I missed out then bought a Kobo. I love it for the same reasons you love your Kindle but I also like the fact that I can buy books from any library not just Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that it is lighter than a regular book. It fits in my purse. I don't have to use a light when I read in bed. It doesn't get covered in dust on a bookshelf. The reasons are endless.

    ReplyDelete